Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Final Frontier: Full Term (37 weeks)

In case you were wondering...


This is what full term looks like.

Pretty huge, but as I read through the boring Baby Center July 2012 board posts (where did all the cheating boyfriends and teen moms go?), I am feeling very, very lucky. I think I'm officially having an "easy" pregnancy. Not to say that I'm not sick of feeling like I can't move like I should be able to move. For example, things that were annoying or feats of flexibility late in the second trimester of pregnancy--like bending over to tie my shoes--now fall on a scale of downright painful to completely impossible.

But that's just pregnancy. So despite the normal pregnancy I can't tie/see/wear my shoes complaints, I have had very little persistent pain (no sciatica, no constant hip pain... knock on wood). I have minor acid reflux once in awhile, but I've also developed quite the taste for Tums, and since acid reflux gives me an excuse to treat Tums like candy, I'm kind of calling that one even. And, I am still comfortable sleeping, even though I now wake up once a night to go to the bathroom. Based on what other people seem to experience, the fact that I'm still getting a comfortable, good night's sleep seems like a small miracle.

But the truth is that things change quickly. At 35 weeks and six days, I was sleeping through the night. At 36 weeks on the dot, I started needing a late night potty break. I am realistic that my good fortune could change at any time, but I am hopeful that the next three or so weeks will be bearable.  

Moreover, I'm feeling a little less freaked out and a little more Zen about all this. In some ways, I've realized that I'm as ready as I'll ever be, I've become more accepting of labor and delivery being what it will be, and I'm getting excited for this next big chapter in our lives. Not to say I'm not scared of raising a human bean, it's just that, after all this time, she's thisclose to joining the world. A whole new person is on the verge of joining us, and I'm going to be her mom and MM is going to be her dad. How is that not exciting?

No comments: