Monday, October 29, 2012

She's Baaaccckkk!

It's a little surreal to be sitting at my desk like the last three months never even happened. People seemed happy to see me, but now at 2 p.m., I think I've told two dozen people that "I'm doing OK!" and "Yes, I know my child is adorable!"


I also have exactly zero work to do, so I spent most of the day doing the following:
  1. Deleting emails
  2. Filing emails
  3. Eating with two hands 
  4. Freaking out about Hurricane Sandy (my sister, her husband and their new baby are in Jersey)
  5. Chatting on the Internets like I used to do when I was single (and married) and free of responsibility (child-free)
Joking aside, I cried several times last night and this morning leading up to the point that I walked into my building. I did not, however, have any hysterical breakdown or threaten not to go back. And since then I've been fine. More than anything, my biggest concern is continuing to breastfeed my baby, but I'm trying not to stress about it too much. It is, after all, only day one.

I'm very lucky that I work for a very understanding and accommodating workplace. My boss told me to leave early today. She's wants me to "ease into things" and won't even send me projects until we have our group's staff meeting tomorrow. So basically, now that I have run out of emails to delete, it's "me time."

Coming back has given me a little more perspective on maternity leave (yes, six hours into being back). I really lucked out--having a healthy baby, an easy pregnancy and labor/delivery, a fairly quick and uncomplicated recovery not to mention pretty good weather during my leave.

Everyone's maternity leave experience is different, but we had the opportunity to do so many fun things in the first almost three months of Emme's life: walks, the zoo, the botanic gardens, lunches with friends, visits with my mom, a roadtrip, baby + mom yoga, an infant massage class, and countless other outings. We even made some new friends. Looking back, even though the first several weeks were tough and there were plenty of moments when I questioned whether or not I would keep my sanity, we (or maybe I?) also had a lot of fun.

No comments: