Monday, February 25, 2013

​An Update on That Whole Pumping Thing

I'm starting to feel like when I'm done breastfeeding, I'll look back and be glad that I nursed Em as long as I did (however long that ends up being), but I'll also be happy that I'm done. In other words, however long I decide to nurse will be the right amount of time for us.

After my post last month, I received some very good advice (from Jedi Mama as well as @), which was to start pumping in the morning before I go to work so that I only have to pump twice during my work day. This, when I can managed it, works pretty well, and for the most part, in February, I have pumped just about what I've needed to feed her.

But, I am losing steam. I have skipped a pumping session here and there, and I no longer feel like I have it in me to really fight for my supply should it start to dwindle. I am tired. I am very literally tired and waking up early and staying up late to pump sometimes doesn't feel worth it, so I don't always do it.

For now, we still have a decent stock of milk in the freezer, but I have used some and I don't have the energy to freak out about it. For now, my supply has been close enough to demand. We're close to the seven months mark, and I feel pretty confident that we will make it to nine months without too much of a struggle. And then we'll see where we're at.

But for now, my alarm is set for 5:20 a.m.

No comments: