Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired

They say the first year is the hardest. You have a kid, and if you send that kid to places with other kids, they get sick and then you get sick. Factor in a rough and rather long cold and flu season, a lack of sleep and therefore compromised immune system, and a disease outbreak for good measure and you’ve got yourself one ugly winter (and now spring).

It hasn’t it been that bad.

OK. It wasn’t that bad until Monday, when MM and I were knocked down fast and hard with what I’m guessing was norovirus, and we spent all night taking turns in the bathroom like we had been out on all-day-all-night drinking binge. Thankfully we didn't wake the babe. More thankfully, the babe has stayed healthy (fingers crossed). Prior to that mess, we had just been hit with your run of the mill colds that put us in bad moods and made daily life just a little bit harder.

And this is just life. I get that. It’s not us; it’s anybody with a kid--maybe anybody in general. But lately, I feel like every time we make some progress toward a better routine, some healthy habits, some balance, we’re knocked down and I find that it’s so hard to get back on track after these minor (or major) disruptions. Produce withers and dies in the fridge, the gym membership goes unused, and mom is running to Target at 9pm on a weeknight when she should be getting into bed because daycare is out of baby food and she forgot to pick some up over the weekend.

I promise this blog isn’t going to turn into “Lou bitches about her life every few days,” because the truth is, I have all the parts and pieces needed to make a great life--they just aren’t fitting together right now.

I’m trying to get to the point where I feel 100 percent before any major decisions are made. But, I (and we, as the in “the family”) need to make some decisions. Figure out priorities. Reassess. I am hopeful that a change for the better is coming.

No comments: