Saturday, June 29, 2013

Another One Bites the Dust

Oh my gawd, I’m 34. I keep accidentally typing 35, but no, I just feel like I’ve aged two years in the last 365 days.

Man, the last year, what can one say? It’s been amazing... and hard... and it’s crazy to think of all the changes. Last year this time, I was hugely pregnant. It was one million degrees outside. I opted out of birthday celebrations after having been baby showered twice in weeks leading up to my 33rd birthday. It was just me and Joey, and I couldn’t even tell you what we actually did on my birthday.

Of course, this year was different. Between working, taking care of the bug, and attempting to keep up on life, I was pretty serious about having some “me” time. I took Friday off work so that I could spend the morning going to my favorite Zumba class, taking myself to lunch, and getting a massage. I realized this: Massages are like crack. Every time I have one, I feel like I desperately need another one. After my morning alone, Emme and I met some neighborhood friends for a little playdate in the park. Friday night, my MIL came over to watch the Babe sleep, and MM and I went to dinner and got yogurt at Red Mango, my favorite make-your-own-fro-yo place.

On Saturday, we decided a small cookout would be a solid way to celebrate, so we invited family and a couple of friends over for an afternoon BBQ. The weather ended up cooperating, which was a nice surprise. The food was fantastic, other people entertained my baby, and I had a few drinks in the sun.

It was a really good birthday. Just enough celebrating.

Like I said above, for all the amazing stuff that has happened this year--Emme is without a doubt the light of my life--it’s also been hard. Adjusting to being a new parent is never easy, and MM and I have spent a lot of time re-evaluating what we want moving forward. I am hopeful that my 34th year will bring lots of changes that will not only allow our family to have more balance, but will also allow me some space to really figure out what’s next for me. I truly believe this is going to be fantastic year, and that when I write a post this time next year, I’ll be blown away by how far I’ve come.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

Happy Birthday Lou! So many great things to look forward to in your 34th year - can't wait to see what all you do. :)

Lindy said...

Happy Birthday, Lou! I remember when I met you, my girls were so little and I remember thinking/listening to you and Meg talk about your Friday nights during our Saturday long runs and thinking "they're in their 20's, they're so young, there's lives are so different from mine." And NOW look at ya! ;) You're doing awesome, and balance (in the definition that works for YOU) is the key!